The City of Sanctuary UK annual conference 2022 was a wonderful opportunity to present some of the participants of the Sanctuary in Maternity course with their graduation certificates. It was lovely to be able to meet some of the participants – and their babies! – face-to-face having only previously seen each other on Zoom. Those who were unable to attend joined us virtually for the celebration.
The Sanctuary in Maternity course ran in May and June with 8 participants. The sessions, led by expert facilitators were:
- Introductions to CoS UK, Maternity Stream and the Sanctuary in Maternity course
- UK Politics and Health Policy-making
- Rights and Entitlements to healthcare and related Campaigns
- Campaigns and Advocacy: Tools, Strategies and Successful Examples
- Engaging with Maternity Settings & Sharing Your Experience
- Talking with the Media & Messaging
The participants then worked on their own projects.
The projects the participants created in such a short space of time were truly inspiring. Here is an overview of all the projects:
And links to some of the individual projects:
Wan’s project ‘Football and Mental Health for Asylum Seeking and Refugee Mothers’:
Rayan’s video project:
Christianah’s video project:
Alvina’s podcast project:
We are hoping to run another Sanctuary in Maternity course in 2023. For more information about the course or the Maternity Stream generally, please email [email protected]